If Only You Knew

how sensitive my children are. If you dislike them, they know. If you think they are bad kids, they know. If they lose a competition, they berate themselves. If they forget homework, they have already beaten themselves up for being stupid. If they see an eye-roll, they know what it is for. They may not be able to say what they feel because their feelings are intense and revealing them is scary. They may be so focused on getting to school that they lose their house key on the sidewalk outside the house. They may take machines apart to see how they work, yes, even a fertilizer spreader. They may know all 109 items on the Messier list, but not be able to write an essay for English class. They may write beautifully but not be able to write about the topics given in English class. They may be incredibly creative and refuse to complete boring assignments. They may have to leave the middle school to go to the high school for a class. According to a professor of mine, they may already know 60% of what you are teaching. They are beautiful, creative, perfectionistic, curious human beings with flaws like all humans. They want to learn new things, they learn quickly, and they will remember you.

This post is part of the Hoagies Blog Hop. To see others discuss this topic, click here.

If you only knew...

Things I wish my children’s teachers knew.

One thought on “If Only You Knew

  1. “They may know all 109 items on the Messier list, but not be able to write an essay for English class.”

    What is the Messier list?

    And writing an essay for English class requires some unique skills.

    Which are not always transferable.

    “According to a professor of mine, they may already know 60% of what you are teaching.”

    60 percent is a good learning threshold – hopefully “if only they know” the other 40 percent in your class or outside…

    “They are beautiful, creative, perfectionistic, curious human beings with flaws like all humans. They want to learn new things, they learn quickly, and they will remember you.”

    That ending statement is really important to know. Good to fill in on the perfectionism from September. And we see in the other statements about the beauty and creativity which is being gifted.

    “They may not be able to say what they feel because their feelings are intense and revealing them is scary. They may be so focused on getting to school that they lose their house key on the sidewalk outside the house. They may take machines apart to see how they work, yes, even a fertilizer spreader.”

    Wow! I knew a few people who take machines apart – and, yes, fertiliser spreaders.

    And losing keys on the sidewalk and other spots.

    Intense feelings are scary! Very often.

    Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s